The Truth About Acne & Olive Oil!
There has been quite a lot of buzz surrounding olive oil in the media lately. New research has shown that most of the olive oils that we are paying top dollars for are in fact, not even 100% olive oil. Many of these brands combine a small amount of real olive oil with other fillers such as canola oil, vegetable oil and soybean oil - All Acne Triggers. These fillers make the so-called “olive oil” much cheaper to produce and taste exactly the same. In fact, in a taste test, even food experts had a difficult time telling the difference between fake olive oils and the real thing. Incredibly, about 70% of olive oil brands found on shelves today failed to meet standards set by the International Olive Council (IOC).
Here is a short list of the brands you definitely want to avoid:
Whole Foods Olive Oils (Except, California 365)
And these are a few of the brands that met the IOC standards:
Trader Joe's Greek Kalamata, California Estate and Premium.
California Olive Ranch
Costco's Kirkland Toscano
McEvoy Ranch Organic
To choose truly acne safe olive oil just follow these tips so you can begin to recognize the real Extra Virgin Olive Oils from the fakes:
1. Do not buy olive oils that are “ light “or “ blended “ as they are not virgin quality.
2. Look for a “harvesting date” listed above an “expiration date” on the label.
3. Real olive oil is bottled in dark bottles because it protects the oil from oxidation. However, not all olive oils in dark bottles are the real deal!
4. Look for a seal from the International Olive Oil Council (IOC).
5. If a liter of extra virgin olive oil costs less than $10, it probably isn’t real.
*TO DOUBLE CHECK If YOUR OLIVE OIL IS ACNE SAFE GOOGLE: “Is (Brand Name) Olive Oil FAKE?
Ready to learn so much more about living an acne-free lifestyle? Call us at 505.369.1680 today!
ABQ Skin Care & Acne Clinic